Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circ

From: Markus Heller M.A. (relix GmbH)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circuit into PCB
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:59:06 +0100

Dear list,

I also purchased a USRP2 for one very important reason. I am a HAM radio
operator (DL8RDS), but I see that this device will open up a completely
new field of technology.

I didn't want to run predefined experiments such as those you can do
with SoftRock or Perseus kind of tools, but I wanted a toolkit for
experiments that is up to the current state of scientific research. I
didn't want a toy, but I wanted a serious learning and research
platform.

The USRP2 meets those criteria, and you can see it because several
universities around the world use it as a research platform. It's not a
toy.

For this reason I think that it is well worth those 1400$.

I am also a professional trainer in the software industry and I see that
an average ticket for an ordinary 3 day class costs 2000 €. Given this
price, I find that such a powerful and versatile research platform is
rather cheap.

I must say that I am very grateful to Matt Ettus for providing the USRP
platform at this price which is in my eyes decent and reasonable and
comfortable enough for everyone who is seriously going to be involved
with SDR.

People who just want to play around have a complete set of other,
cheaper platforms with less capabilities, but which make up a perfect
playground for sub-professional experiments.

For most of these applications, it needn't be a high precision 16 bit
400 MSpS ADC and a 100 MSpS DAC.

I don't want to discourage anyone who wants to do his first steps into
building a SDR himself/herself, but given the value of SDR knowledge you
can acquire with this tool, the expenses for the tool are really
tolerable. As in most cases in the software industry, the value of
knowledge far exceeds the value of our tools.

If you're a student, never be afraid of buying expensive learning
materials, the're all worth the money. And if you are a student, ask
your institute. If you're a good student, the institute should not
hesitate and order the according devices.

BR (=vy73)
Markus
dl8rds