Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circ

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circuit into PCB
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:59:18 +0100

On 11.01.2011 04:24, Marten Christophe wrote:
> matured that time.  USRP has been sold in $450 ,  how one can claim
> proprietorship on a product which was  develop as open sourced
> hardware  project. many of people have contributed to it on Mr. Ettus
The copyright is at Ettus. EDA-files are not distributed.
So it's a commercial version, not a community version. At least for the
hardware.
Only the firmware is open-source (using also opensource components
like ethernet implementation).

> I alone Estimated its costing on DIGI key and other sites for parts
> and PCB sourcing and all
> it not exceeding $200 and he is www.ettus.com claiming $150 for
> handling n  shipping alone.
> so outside US it would be around $1000.  my apologies  if i used harsh words.

It's not much for the tax-payer or commercial clients. But it's a lot for a
hobbyist.
Why can't there be a open-source community version of a Gnuradio-Hardware,
about $200 for the material, do-it-yourself assembling, some performance
tradeoffs (no expensive MIMO connector, cheap FPGA variant) etc. ?

This is a RX-only SDR with all relevant design files
(Schematics, PCB, Gerber), BOM about $200 :
http://sdrtrack.drupalcafe.com/?q=node/2

Maybe somebody wants to donate a design to the GNU community?
It won't by a one-way street. I guess the community will continue to improve
the design after an initial start. Also GNU itself didn't start from zero, but
used lots of Unix developments to create a free alternative.