Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel programming

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel programming
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:45:05 -0500

Without seeing your GRC implementation or Python script & block's
implementation code, mostly what I or anyone else can provide is general
advice.  GNU Radio 3.3.0 uses the thread per block (TBP) scheduler by default;
if you're not doing anything else except running the flow-graph (meaning: you
don't set special GNU Radio environment variables or use a GNU Radio
configuration file), then that's what you're using.  The performance of any
flow-graph really depends on how complex the flow-graph is, how much data
you're trying to push through it, and how fast your processors are able to
perform the block's computations.  The host OS influences execution speed a
little, but mostly its those listed factors that make the difference; that
said, I haven't used GNU Radio on Ubuntu in a long time so I cannot talk about
that OS specifically (Linux, in general, provides very low OS overhead & more
time executing the flow-graph's computations).  It might be that your
flow-graph is running fast enough already to use just 1 core; does it run in
"real time" for what you need?  Rewriting a given block to use vector-based
instructions (SSE, Altivec, Neon) often dramatically increases the computations
/ time for that block.  As for parallelizing your block, without knowing what
it is/does exactly, I would always advise you to break down the computations
into smaller pieces and then implement those as blocks (if they are no
already), then create the "meta-block" (I forget the exact name of it now;
maybe "heir_block2"?) using those.  That way, the TBP scheduler will have more
to work with and the flow-graph will end up being executed more in parallel.
If your block has internal data-feedback, then the meta-block will not work
(GNU Radio doesn't "do" data-flow feedback in the flow-graph) & you'll have to
find some way of parallelizing your algorithm.  There are plenty of good books
on this subject. - MLD