[Discuss-gnuradio] Highest Datarates with GNURadio

From: mrahaim
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Highest Datarates with GNURadio
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:48:18 -0500

Hi All,

I started working with GNURadio a few months ago as a platform for use with a Visual Light Communication front end. I've had some good success with the basic benchmark testing and implementation of a few basic tests with GRC, but I'm curious as to what datarates have been achieved within the GNURadio community.

As of now, I've been able to reach rates of 4Mb/s with GMSK and BPSK modulation and I'm pretty sure I've reached the limits of what my PC's can handle in real time (I seem to be getting errors occurring mostly from system overruns). I haven't gone into testing with the OFDM blocks or higher order modulation schemes, but I wanted to see what type of rates I should expect.

I'm using the system mostly as a testbed for the time being, so my thought is to do the signal processing offline (to / from a file) and have the transmission simply sending and receiving from a file. If anyone has suggestions or examples of how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Michael Rahaim
Graduate Research Assistant
Smart Lighting Engineering Research Center
Boston University