Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] an example of a gnuradio project using cmake

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] an example of a gnuradio project using cmake
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:50:27 -0500

On Dec 13, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> The biggest problem that I see with cmake is that the burden of proof
> lies with cmake.

I'm 100% confident that CMake, or QMake for that matter (and, I'm sure, BJam
and other build tools), could handle the GNU Radio build system robustly if
someone were willing to put the time and effort into those changes.  All of
these build systems are roughly equivalent in the way they go about
accomplishing their task -- except, I think, in one important way: GNU
Autotools allows the user to insert shell script that is directly executed
during configure, while CMake and QMake build scripts are entirely interpreted
and hence rely upon the interpreter and documentation of its behavior being
correct.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  Yes, I know that "shell
script" is interpreted, but here I make the distinction between interpreted by
the shell many of us use on a daily basis for many tasks versus interpreted
just for the purposes of, and by, this particular build system -- does that
make sense?

Either way: Each build tool has benefits and drawbacks; none is perfect for all
projects.  I'm quite sure that for GNU Radio, any build tool will have to
include local "hacks" (or "tricks" or whatever) to get the various dependencies
found and in-place.  I've worked with all 3 build systems enough to know that I
like each in different ways, and that all end up with difficult-to-read scripts
with any project of reasonable complexity in dependencies and building.

So, if Josh wants to go off and prove that CMake will do the trick, I say the
more power to him.  If Tom wants to keep using GNU Autotools, I'm good with
that too.  I have no desire to rewrite everything to use QMake or BJam, but I
could probably do so without too much difficulty.  Specifically for GNU Radio,
I don't see any one of these build tools being "better" than any other in any
significant way.

My US$0.02 worth, at most ;) - MLD