[Discuss-gnuradio] dial_tone.py add_ff()

From: Tim S
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] dial_tone.py add_ff()
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:35:24 -0500

Another GNU Radio noob here.  I've been playing around with some of the
examples while I eagerly await my USRP1 and I had a question about the
dial_tone.py example.

I ran the dial_tone.py example that's part of the 3.3.0 release and noticed it
doesn't really sound like a (US) dial tone.  I'm not sure if I understand the
code correctly but it doesn't seem like the signals actually get added
together.  For example, changing src0 to 440 and src1 to 350 produces a
different sound.

I did some more searching on the Internet and found some other examples using
gr.add_ff(), so I added this to the dial_tone.py and it seemed to do the trick.
 Did I miss something in the original example?  I thought maybe my libraries
were out of date or perhaps I missed something on the install.  I double
checked the repository at gnuradio.org and my copy is the same.  I'm running
Ubuntu 10.10 on lenovo laptop with gnuradio 3.3.0.

Original source:
--- dial_tone.py ---
48      dst = audio.sink (sample_rate, options.audio_output)
49      self.connect (src0, (dst, 0))
50      self.connect (src1, (dst, 1))

Changes:
    adder = gr.add_ff()
    sink = audio.sink (sample_rate, options.audio_output)
    self.connect (src0, (adder, 0))
    self.connect (src1, (adder, 1))
    self.connect(adder, sink)

Cheers,