Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in designing Coded OFDM Rxr (using, trell

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in designing Coded OFDM Rxr (using, trellis-viterbi )
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:23:47 -0500

Venkat,

I assume you are working with a (2,1) trellis code, ie,
1 bit in two bits out.
I also assume that you unpack each input byte to 8 single bits (carried in a byte) before trellis encoding and you pack every 4 2-bit worth bytes into a single byte after trellis encoding. This means that for every information bearing byte (before unpacking) you should get 2 coded bytes (after packing).
Further I will assume that you work with the trellis_encoder_bb block.

In order to design a meaningful system you have to look at the
"equivalent inner channel" you have created between the trellis encoder and the viterbi decoder, including the packing/message queuing/ofdm modulation/demodulation, etc, up until the input to the metric calculation block (or the input of the viterbi_combined block). This "equivalent inner channel" has to be a byte-in byte-out channel, where each byte is carrying only 2 bits.
Once you do that the rest is easy: the metrics you want to define are
"symbol-wise Hamming distance", and the viterbi block will do its job.

So first make sure that your INNER channel is as specified above; then you can move on to adding error correction on this channel.

Regarding your questions:

1) I do not understand the meaning of "I doubt in losing packet modularity". You do not loose anything in this process...

2) Figure out how many info bits you want to input to the trellis encoder (for the encoder info bits are anything at its input; the encoder does not know/care if these bits represent flags/sync patterns etc for the outer channels). Let's assume that you want to input 8*K such bits. These are probably generated in the form of packed bytes from the outer system, so you need to collect K bytes, unpack them to 8*K single-bit bytes and feed them to the CC. The CC runs for 8*K trellis steps and produces 8*K bytes (each worth 2 bits), so you will probably want to pack them into 8*K/4=2*K packed bytes. You see : K info bytes resulted in 2*K output bytes, which is consistent with rate=1/2.

3) Here is the idea:
if these headers are added BEFORE trellis encoding, then they should be treated as info bits that will be encoded by the CC and decoded by the Viterbi, so you should NOT remove them before Viterbi decoding, but AFTER. If these headers are added AFTER the trellis block (ie, to aid synchronization in the inner modulation etc) then these should be removed BEFORE the viterbi block. How to do this is not part of gr-trellis...

Best
Achilleas