Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research Announcements -- Nov 2010

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research Announcements -- Nov 2010
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:33:31 -0800

On 11/16/2010 05:12 PM, Steve Mcmahon wrote:
Hello Matt:

Why the name "USRP N210" instead of just "USRP3"? I just want to
understand the new naming scheme. You imply that the N210 is but the
first in a series of future N200-family devices. Could you comment on
your plans for these devices? What is the product roadmap for the
N220, N230, etc.? Thanks.

Steve McMahon

Steve,

Thanks for the question. Even internally we get confused about the new naming scheme.

Each product number is one letter and 3 digits. The letter denotes how the device is attached to the computer --
        "B" stands for bus (i.e. USB)
        "N" for network (ethernet in this case)
        "E" for embedded computer

The first digit roughly indicates a product generation. In this case, 2 for the 2nd generation of our network devices.

The 2nd digit indicates option levels. In this case "1" indicates the larger S3A-3400 DSP FPGA.

The third digit indicates major revisions. In this case we are on the zeroth revision.

Had this naming system been around when the USRP1 was introduced, it would have been called the USRP B100. There's no point in renaming it now, so we'll continue calling it the USRP1. Similarly, the USRP2 would have been called the USRP N100, but we won't be renaming it.

There is a USRP N200 planned for March which will have a smaller Spartan 3A DSP 1800 FPGA instead of the 3400 in the already-announced N210. This will cost $200 less than the N210 because of the smaller FPGA.

We also will be making a formal announcement very soon about the USRP E100 and USRP E110 which will be embedded radio systems with 2 different sizes of FPGA.

We have other products in development which will further exercise this new naming system :)

Matt