Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed

From: Thomas H Kim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:58:14 -0500

Thank you all for your help.

Since I am new in Linux and GNU software Radio, I wanted to start from known good configuration people use, so I wiped out FC14 and installed FC13. After the fresh installation, it started working (I was able to hear tones from my PC's speaker when I ran noise, dial_done examples under GNU radio folder).
The FC14 I installed was for 32 bit architecture, and FC13 I installed today was for 64bit architecture.
Initially I thought it could be one of the three reasons which caused the segmentation fault:
1) Using FC14
2) Using x86_64 instead of i386

3) Operator error on gnu radio istallation procedure (likely...since I am not really Linux guy)

I still don't know exactly why it happen, but after talking to several ppl I think #3 was most likely the reason. It's too late to go back to my old config(I wish I could), but I wonder if I setup PYTHONPATH correctly or not. I searched for the python site-packages file and setup the path to the file. I realized that there were multiple site-packages files in this installation. I will try to figure out if the other site-packages file in other than .../lib/python2.x/ cause this problem when I get some time.
If I did that step correctly, then I need to install FC14 i386 on my workstation and see if I can reproduce it.

Again, thank you for your help.

Thomas