Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:59:08 +0100

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 07:42:25AM -0500, Thomas H Kim wrote:
> I installed Fedora Core 14 and installed all needed dependencies using YUM as
> shown below.
>
> yum groupinstall "Engineering and Scientific" "Development Tools"
> yum install fftw-devel cppunit-devel wxPython-devel libusb-devel guile
> boost-devel alsa-lib-devel numpy gsl-devel python-devel pygsl python-cheetah
> python-lxml
> yum install sdcc
>
> yum install gnuradio
> yum install gnuradio-examples
> yum install usrp

Hi Thomas,

did you install gnuradio from the Fedora repositories? Which version do
you have?
Just a couple of threads ago someone else had problems with Fedora
packages; they are not up to date.
Try grabbing a current version from the web site and build it yourself;
it's not that hard.

> The installation went ok without any issue.
> However, when I tried dial tone example at
> "/usr/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/
> dial_tone.py", it said nothing else but "segmentation fault(core dump)", and
> nothing happened. I tried other examples, but this segmentation fault error
> came up all the time. I found a couple of simple gnu radio examples from
> google
> and tried, but the same thing happened. I inserted print statement in the code
> to see where it failed and it failed in "my_top_block().run()" function.
>
> I want to know why this problem occurs and how to solve it. Can anyone help me
> out? Any idea/suggestion will be welcomed.
> I'm still studying GNU software radio blocks, but is there any way to narrow
> down which block (or which function) cause this segmentation fault?

Even in an old version, this should not happen. However, if you do have
an old version, I recommend upgrading to at least 3.3.0 and trying
again. Once it works, you'll simply have much more fun (read:
functionality) with a newer GNU Radio.

If you do want to debug you installation, a nice place to start might be
by starting the Python command line and plugging together tiny flow
graphs by hand, to see wether or not they crash.

Cheers
MB
--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)