[Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed

From: Thomas H Kim
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:42:25 -0500

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in gnu software radio (and in python, and in linux) and got stuck on this segmentation fault issue.
I am trying to setup GNU software radio on a machine (HP workstation xw8600 with dual intel Xeon processor).
I installed Fedora Core 14 and installed all needed dependencies using YUM as shown below.

yum groupinstall "Engineering and Scientific" "Development Tools"
yum install fftw-devel cppunit-devel wxPython-devel libusb-devel guile boost-devel alsa-lib-devel numpy gsl-devel python-devel pygsl python-cheetah python-lxml
yum install sdcc

yum install gnuradio
yum install gnuradio-examples
yum install usrp

The installation went ok without any issue.
However, when I tried dial tone example at "/usr/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/dial_tone.py", it said nothing else but "segmentation fault(core dump)", and nothing happened. I tried other examples, but this segmentation fault error came up all the time. I found a couple of simple gnu radio examples from google and tried, but the same thing happened. I inserted print statement in the code to see where it failed and it failed in "my_top_block().run()" function.

I want to know why this problem occurs and how to solve it. Can anyone help me out? Any idea/suggestion will be welcomed.
I'm still studying GNU software radio blocks, but is there any way to narrow down which block (or which function) cause this segmentation fault?

Thanks!

Thomas