[Discuss-gnuradio] questions about USRP2 sink block and upconversion

From: Steve Mcmahon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] questions about USRP2 sink block and upconversion
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:00:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello:

I am still somewhat new to GNU Radio. I am running GNU Radio 3.3.0 under
openSUSE 11.2, and I have two USRP2 boards, each with a WBX daughterboard. I
need some help understanding some fundamental things about GNU Radio and the
USRP2 and upconversion.

I am trying generate a tone at 900.001 MHz (900,001,000 Hz). I am using GRC to
construct a simple flow graph where I have a signal source block generating a 1
khz cosine at a sample rate of 195.312 khz (=100e6/512), connected to a USRP2
sink block with the "decimation" parameter set to 512, and with the "frequency"
parameter set to 900M. I then look at the output on a spectrum analyzer. My
understanding was that I should see a clear spike at 900.001 MHz, but I don't.
Instead I see a peak at 899.99701 MHz. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the
internal USRP2 clock. Is this happening because the internal clock is good to
only 7ppm?

In general, how do I need to setup the frequency of a USRP2 source if I want to
place tones in the spectrum? I thought it was simple upconversion. If I want to
modulate a multitone signal (say with sine components 1 KHz, 3 khz, and 7 khz)
to obtain an upconverted signal with tones at 901 MHz, 903 MHz, and 907 MHz,
then I simply set the "frequency" parameter of the USRP2 sink to 900 MHz,
right? How exactly does the USRP2 do the upconversion? What exactly does the
"frequency" parameter do?

I would really appreciate any help I could get,
and I appreciate your time.

Steve McMahon