Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC question: How to measure BER when Tx and Rx a

From: Steven Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC question: How to measure BER when Tx and Rx are on different machines?
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 16:42:40 -0400

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Rachel Li <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all:

I have Tx and Rx on different machines. To measure the BER, I need to compare the a reference stream and the output stream of the demodulator.

I suspect that my way to obtain the reference stream is wrong.

Here is how I obtain the reference stream:

1: At the Tx, I used Random Source to generate a 0/1 sequence. This sequence is saved into a DAT file.

Random Source (Byte)  --> File Sink (the file is saved as input.DAT)

2: Then I use the DAT file as the input of the Modulator, in this way, I have the same input data every time when I run the flow diagram.

File Source (input.DAT) --> Modulator

3: I made a copy of the DAT file and put it on the Rx machine

4: I tried to compare the output of the demodulator and this DAT file, but something goes wrong here.  The output of the demodulator is a 0/1 sequence but the DAT file is not.

Could anyone guide me with this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like a packed/unpacked problem. Some blocks work with packed representations of data (using all bits in the byte). Others work with just the LSB of the byte. Experiment with using packed_to_unpacked / unpacked_to_packed blocks.

-Steven