[Discuss-gnuradio] Import Error with "howto" module

From: Michael Civerolo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Import Error with "howto" module
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:53:02 -0700

Hello,

I am an RF engineer who is just starting to play around with Linux and gnuradio for fun. I have been successfully making some simple applications work on my USRP2. I would like to write my own DSP blocks and when I try to import the "howto" module into another python program I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "USRP2_FFT.py", line 5, in <module>
    from gnuradio import gr, gru, eng_notation, usrp2, blks2, howto
ImportError: cannot import name howto

I downloaded the gr-howto-write-a-block-3.3.0 file and did the following successfully:

>cd gnuradio/gr-howto-write-a-block-3.3.0
>./bootstrap
>./configure
>sudo make
>sudo make check
>sudo make install

At someone's suggestion I also did the following in the gr-howto-write-a-block-3.3.0 successfully:

>cd lib
>sudo make install
>sudo make check
>cd ..
>cd python
>sudo make install
>sudo make check

What else do I need to do to be able to use the "howto" module?

Thanks,
Mike