[Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_probe, failed to find usrp[0] - was working yest

From: jefftk
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_probe, failed to find usrp[0] - was working yesterday...
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

I just received a new USRP & WBX board for a research project I am working
on. I have installed GNURadio from source from the tar package:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.3.0.tar.gz, on Ubuntu 10.04,
amd64

I am having problems connecting/finding the USRP:
running "usrp_probe" or "usrper get_hash0" result in "usrp: failed to find
usrp[0]"

running "sudo usrp_probe" results in "ImportError: cannot import name usrp"
running "sudo usrper get_hash0" results in "found unconfigured usrp; needs
firmware."

I have seen mention that the blinking light on the motherboard is indicative
of some state (I have not been able to locate documentation stating
this....can someone point me to this?) the light on my motherboard is
currently blinking at bout 2-3Hz, which I think is supposed to mean it has
good firmware loaded.

I successfully ran usrp_probe (with sudo if I recall correctly) last night
and it successfully connected and found the wbx daughterboard.

Other than powering down the USRP overnight I'm not sure what or if I
changed anything.
I can use gnuradio-companion and run some basic tutorial programs that don't
interface with the usrp.
I have tried reinstalling GNURadio, between versions 3.3.0 and 3.2 several
times, neither have connected to the usrp.

other information:
PYTHONPATH = /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
"ls -lR /dev/bus/usb | grep usrp"  =   "crw-rw---- 1 root usrp      189, 4

at some point I noticed this, I have been unable to reproduce it though
"dmesg" = [ 2117.132151] usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usrper
rqt 64 rq 1 len 0 ret -110

Plugging in USRP usb cable:
dmesg output =
[14316.247647] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6
[14326.592048] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
7
[14326.725176] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

I'm not sure what the problem is now.. is it a configuration problem with
GNURadio, a problem with the USB interface/driver, or is there actually an
issue with the USRP firmware?
I'm hesitant to think it is a firmware problem, because I don't think there
is any way I could have modified the firmware..

Thanks for your help,
-Jeff