[Discuss-gnuradio] raw USRP2 interface vs the UHD interface

From: Steve Mcmahon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] raw USRP2 interface vs the UHD interface
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 01:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hello:

I want to make sure I understand the raw USRP2 interface and the new UHD
interface correctly. I have USRP2, and I'm running GNU Radio 3.3.0 under Linux
(Fedora 13), and if I use the default USRP2 interface, it uses raw Ethernet (no
UDP or TCP) by means of raw sockets, and there is no transport layer protocol
used. But now there is a new UHD driver deing developed for USRP2. It uses UDP
as the transport layer protocol. This means that the USRP2 will need to have an
IP address and subnet mask, unlike before. What are the advantages to doing
this?? Won't this reduce the bandwidth somewhat over raw Ethernet, since UDP
adds some overhead?? What is the motivation for creating the UHD driver??
What's wrong or inadequate with the current raw Ethernet interface?? Any
explanation and help in understanding is appreciated. Thanks.

Steve McMahon