Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - September 23rd 2010

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - September 23rd 2010
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:50:30 -0700

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 09:40:58AM -0400, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> I agree with you it's not exactly right.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure about the right action.
> >>
> >> This issue should probably go onto the list of things to be considered
> >> in the grand build restructuring that was discussed by some of us a
> >> couple of weeks ago.
> >>

> > Autotools is trying to be helpful by setting the "unspecified" prefix to
> > NONE during configure. But since gnuradio is using it as if it was always
> > set I suggest we do the following at the top of configure.ac
> >
> > if test "${prefix}" = "NONE"; then
> >    prefix=${ac_default_prefix}
> > fi
> >
> > We can put it on the next branch and hope it fixes more things than it
> > breaks... at least until the grand rebuild structuring comes along. :-)
> >
> > -Josh
>

> Thanks, guys. I've made a note of this to keep in mind while we're
> working on the restructuring.
>
> Tom

It looks like it's part of autoconf's machinery...
On my system I found it in /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/general.m4
around line 558.

  AC_SUBST(prefix, NONE)dnl

There's a discussion here that's relevant:

I think Josh's suggestion will work.  It probably has to occur after
AC_INIT (or maybe AC_PREREQ).  Not sure if there's anything else that
needs to run first.

Eric