Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio via MacPorts Updated

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio via MacPorts Updated
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:44:56 -0400

On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> We're just discussing this issue (32-bit execution) on the MacPorts' lists.
> The quick end-result is: With the current MacPorts' provided python2.6 or
> older, the PREFER_32_BIT stuff does not work because 'python' is actually
> just a wrapper around 'exec' and the bit-preferences are no passed through.
> Apple's python2.6 -does- work, as does python2.7 and newer, because this
> command was moved to "posix_spawn"; see <
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/python/python-44.1/2.6/ > for the
> source code and changes Apple made (somewhere in there).

The above is correct as stated.  That said, for the continued discussion on the
MP-dev list:

The way around this issue with MacPorts' Python 2.6 is to specify the whole
path to the executable:

$ arch -i386
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
 -c 'import sys; print(sys.maxsize)'

will print out: 2147483647.  While

$ arch -x86_64 ....

will print out: 9223372036854775807.  Of course, this mean that in order to
execute a python script (e.g., usrp_fft.py), one needs to specify both the
Python with full path as well as the script with full path (or '' or './' if in
the current directory)

$ arch -i386
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
 /path/to/usrp_fft.py [options]

We shouldn't be allows to have this much fun! - MLD