[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, UHD??

From: Mason Scott
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, UHD??
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi mr. Josh Blum,

   I would like to ask you something if you allow me. I don't want to bother you, but I would like to ask you a few question regarding the UHD and it's usage with USRP1 and Windows.

    I posted a differnt question mainly focused on Windows and GNU Radio, how all these can be used and what are the steps to make it work. I was asking that because I couldn't found any tutorial or other document where it would be explained what and how has to be made to start to work with these.

    The OS I'm using each day is Win XP and I'm developing software in VisualStudio and a few other development environments, so I like windows and I can do anything here. I'm not familiarized with Linux and others. As I mentiond in a previous post I have to make a project where I have to use some SDR hardware therefore I have bought an USRP1 hardware from Ettus. It's connected to the computer but here I had to stop because I couldn't find any clear way to make it work. In this post I won't repeat what I have written in the previous one so the question is related to UHD. It's something I would like to work with, to have some functions in a DLL file and to be able to call those functions to read out some data from the USB data stream, to call different functions to make some data processing, I don't mind if I will have to install python and GNURadio (maybe someone in the previous post will explain me how they installed these on Windows) and to call a function with the name of the script (that will take some parameters and give back others) and some parameters to be able to extract some data from a coded stream.

    To tell you the truth I don't know what's your vision about the UHD, how you want (I read that you are developing the UHD) it to work, and how is working right now? What are the limitations regarding the usage of UHD and USRP1? Could I make an application to read out a byte of data from the USB stream and to demodulate it, to get the real values (ex: to send from a device a value $5C that will be modulated by a hardware and transmitted while at the other end to be able to receive with the USRP that, to demodulate and to get the $5C value). I suppose that the whole UHD has to be flexible therefore it should be able to allow user to use different demodulation and other scripts. Like in the previous example, if the modulation is ASK or OOK, that is a simple situation but what if it's bout FSK or other more complicated, than user has to have the ability to make a script that has described the whole demodulation process, how to take the stream and give it back like (executeFunction (InputStream; OutputStream; pythonScript);).

    I'm asking you some help, or links, to get the picture of what the UHD is working; how could we extend it, to make a really flexible system; how it can be used on Windows OS? Maybe if we (me and those who would like to use the UHD) will get some help we will be able to use it and to come up with some end-to-end projects (explained on real hardware, and making real data transfer).

    Maybe after several answers from different persons there will be possible to make a document with all suggestions and ideas so that these questions will not be asked in the future.

    Excuse me for bothering you with my questions, but I really don't know anybody else who could know much more about the UHD. Thank you for any answer and any suggestion you might have. I wish you and to all those who are reading this post a wonderfull day.

        Mason Scott.