Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 UHD Matlab Receiver Communications Blockset

From: Vincent W
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 UHD Matlab Receiver Communications Blockset
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:14:49 -0400

On 09/10/2010 12:55 AM, Josh Blum wrote:
> On 09/09/2010 06:43 PM, Vincent W wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I stumbled on this blockset on the Matlab website:
>>
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/commblks/ref/usrp2receiver.html
>>
>> I've been making do with the old firmware and fpga, but when I saw this
>> link, I
>> became really excited - especially because it implies I can decrease the
>> decimation on my USRP2 to 1 - perhaps by requesting real, single precision
>> values instead of complex doubles.
>
> The minimum sustainable sample rate over the wire is 25Msps for the UHD
> (unless
> you change FPGA implementation). I dont know what FPGA code "they" are using.
> Also, I dont think these simulink blocks have UHD under the hood.
>
>> Is there an open source version of that blockset?
>>
>> Alternatively, despite poking around the UHD API, it wasn't immediately
>> obvious
>> how I could change the type of data, or set a decimation of 1, from the
>> uhd::usrp::simple_usrp class. I suspect it may have something to do with the
>> uhd::io_type_t class, but, again, I'm not too sure.
>>
> The device::send and device::recv calls take the IO type as an argument. The
> samples are converted between IO type and over-the-wire type in the UHD
> implementation code.
>
> -Josh

Hi,

        It seems very likely that they do have uhd implimentation, if only
judging by
the support articles they've written about the usrp2, albeit with outdated
firmware and fpga images:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-CUN7JZ/index.html?product=CB&solution=1-CUN7JZ

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-D2KBPZ/index.html?product=CB&solution=1-D2KBPZ

So, to be clear then, it's not possible to get 1x decimation, or change the
output type, using the resourced above?

Vincent