Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:31:13 +0400

Hi Eric,

On Aug 19, 2010, at 5:35 AM, Eric Blossom wrote:

> Elvis, do you understand the high level source of the problem?
> That is, that there are two hardware devices whose clocks are not
> synchronized?

Yes, I do now, and that one possible solution is to rate match or buffer the
sample data to the audio sink. I was looking at the PortAudio sink, didn't
realize it was cross-platform portable; so I'll enable gr-audio-portaudio, and
disable gr-audio-oss and gr-audio-alsa (if it's okay to do so), and see if the
problem still manifests itself.

The issue manifests itself on both a VM and with GR running natively on my
hardware (late 2009 iMac 27" i7).

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson