Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted playback of real-time audio on Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:06:41 +0400

Hi Alex,

On Aug 12, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Alexandru Csete wrote:

> Try to resample the audio to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz using a
> rational_resampler block. That might solve it.

Adding the Rational Resampler, with decimation = 2 and interpolation = 3, works
in terms of resampling. The two separate wave files created before and after
resampling sound correct.

However, when I am listening to the audio in real-time, there are severe audio
crackles and distortions.

I also notice that there are a lot of audio over-runs in my console output:

>>> gr_fir_fff: using SSE
aUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaU

This behavior is the same, whether I run GNU Radio natively on my iMac or
inside a virtual machine using both Ubuntu 10.04 and 9.10.

What do you think the root cause is?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson