Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Free Signal Analysis Tool

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Free Signal Analysis Tool
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:51:38 +0200

 On 06.08.2010 07:02, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> Ccheck out Octave - it's an opens-source replacement for Matlab. It's
> far behind Matlab in usability, but still may suffice you.
It's not far behind. The core functions are really Ok. You get lots of
toolboxes in octave-forge
for free. Many functions that do not belong to the standard Matlab version
(extra $1000 only for statistics).
The GUI of Matlab is not very useful, since the way of using Matlab ist mostly
command-line oriented. Of course, Octave lacks the possibility of creating
own GUI applications. But these are not very well implemented in Matlab anyway
(many bugs, no multithread, always blocking, strange communication between GUI
functions/blocks).
Simulink is  missing in Octave, but this is also not included in standard MATLAB
(have to pay a some $3000's extra).

If you're looking for something simulink-like, you could try SciLab
(www.scilab.org), it has SciCos and Xcos. It would be interesting to
introduce USRP into these blocksets. Maybe easy with a function wrapper.
SciLab also has a GUI. I like SciLab, but I prefer Octave because of it's
better Matlab-compatibility. The GUI is not very important for me.

Moeller