RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?

From: Clark Pope
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:03:17 -0400

> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:22:21 -0500
> Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden

> >> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:19:35 -0700
> >> From: address@hidden
> >> To: address@hidden
> >> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
> >> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?

> >> For 'speed record' type information, you might be interested in SORA, a
> >> software radio project from Microsoft Research. They use different
> >> hardware and custom software, but the fundamentals are the same.
> >>
> >> As Matt points out, efficiency is a function of engineering. Using modern
> >> processors, 64-bit architecture, multicore, software LUTs, and a variety
> >> of other optimizations they were able to fully process 802.11g signals of
> >> 20 MHz bandwidth and sustain reception of 54 Mbps signals including
> >> Viterbi decoding, etc. I see no reason this couldn't be done with
> >> USRP(2) / GNU Radio... but looking at Microsoft's author list they had a
> >> lot of developers working pretty hard on it!
> >>
> >> There's not a ton of detail in the original paper, and what code is
> >> available is almost certainly not something you want to look at without
> >> reading the license very carefully, but here's the link to the project
> >> website:
> >>
> >> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/sora/
> >>
> >> and the original paper:
> >>
> >> http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=79927
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>

> > Thanks that's a good data point! So a huge corporation with
> > infinite resources tops out at about 20 MHz sustained
> > processing of what I would call a real world practical signal.
>
> Their infinite resources are in fact limited by their management's mindset
> and inability to think clearly about the
> consequences of their business model, the impact of the Internet, etc. A guy
> like Ballmer is just a much a reason why
> Linux exists as is Linus himself. His rhetoric about GPL being a cancer,
> Linux developers are communists, etc. has
> provided "infinite inspiration" to the guys with limited resources.
>
> SORA may be a useful data point, but advise to carefully consider the source.
>
> -Jeff

This is true. And I seem to recall Gates saying basically that the reason
windows is coded so inefficiently is because the hardware will always increase
faster than Microsofts bad coding. I have an internet explorer process running
right now that's use 80 megabytes of memory! Years ago we ran an entire
graphical interface and gui in 64 kByte on the commodore 64.