[Discuss-gnuradio] Can't find firmware: std.ihx

From: Craig Tong
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't find firmware: std.ihx
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:36:07 +0200

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting my USRP board running with just about any software. It always seems to die with "Can't find firmware: std.ihx". I've tried a whole array of applications including usrp_fft.py and similar, usrp_probe and then also the C++ progs (test_usrp_standard_rx and the like).

It dies with the same complaint when running the C++ software that we're busy writing. It fails on the line "usrp_standard_rx::make( ... )" where the firmware file is specified. It is currently blank (i.e. default) but even if the file is specified explicitly, it still claims that it cannot be found. From what I understand from what is going on in "usrp_prims_common.cc" if the user specifies a path it should override the default one. Exactly how it formats this path I can't really keep track of and I think something is going wrong there.

I had it working on Ubuntu 9.04 x86 but it stopped working when I updated to 10.04. I tried reinstalling gnuradio 3.2 several times. And also tried the versions from synaptic but always came down with the same error. I've since wiped the system and installed Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64 with new 3.3.0 version of gnuradio but the problem continues.

I do have "usr/local/share/usrp/rev4/std.ihx" and all that goes with it. I can also load the firmware with usrper and then put LED1 on and off so the USRP seems to be working correctly.

I do get the feeling I'm missing something very obvious here because it seems the last instances of this sort of problem date back to 2007. Still I just can't put my finger on whats wrong.

regards
Craig