Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Programmable band-pass filters

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Programmable band-pass filters
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:18:02 +0400

Hi,

On Jul 9, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Brian Padalino wrote:

> You could try something like a switched filter bank as a preselector:
>
>    http://www.spectrummicrowave.com/sfb.asp

I was thinking of a discrete SMT type component, which I can mount on a PCB
board, those are really big.

> That was something a quick google search found.  Unfortunately, your
> band-pass requirements are lacking.  What types of channel bandwidths
> do you want?  How many channels?  How much rejection are you looking
> for?

I was initially thinking of a BPF in the 400Mhz to 4000Mhz range. This would
interface with a LNA of the same band-width. However, I would like to be able
to digitally control the BPF, to be able to say filter frequencies, prior to
sending it to the LNA, e.g. 1800Mhz to 2200Mhz, and then switch back to 400 to
600Mhz, etc.

Doing a google search, I came across FPAA (Field Programmable Analog Arrays),
and I was wondering if using a switched bank of capacitors and resistors, would
do the trick?

I found one company http://www.anadigm.com/

haven't gone into the details of an FPAA, but was wondering if someone else on
this forum has looked into this type of thing before?

Could I potentially create my own externally switched capacitor & resistor
network, under control of a standard FPGA, to achieve the same thing?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson