Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit Ethernet cards

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit Ethernet cards
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:33:43 -0700

Manuel,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Manuel Fuhr <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 22:40, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I suspect that my GiGE NIC may be dropping packets.  It's an
>> RTL8168d-type chip, according to "dmesg".
>>
>> Are there known-to-be-good-with-GnuRadio NICs for PCI with low-profile
>> brackets out there?  This is for
>>  a 2U server platform.
> I have the same problem that some packets from the USRP2 are getting dropped.

I can think of a nicer way to print the error messages SX, but dropped
packets are a fact of life; especially running at 25 Msps.

On my linux box, running benchmark at full rate, i usually see a few
dropped packets initially and at the end when it finishes.

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

> I tested this with a USRP2 with the latest UHD fpga image
> (u2_rev3-udp-ise12-20100615.bin) and firmware (txrx_uhd_20100621.bin).
> The host computers were running the latest uhd host code
> (a34f930a79a0c626706a5f7532d8f692446d3c35). The first test machine is
> a Phenom X4 with Windows XP and two cards (i tested both), a Realtek
> onboard chipset (RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
> controller) and an Intel PCI Card (82541GI Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller). I even tested with a third card (Intel Dual-Port PCI
> Express card) but it also had the same problems. Second test machine
> is a Core2 Duo running Debian/squeeze and has a Broadcom BCM5787M PCI
> Express onboard.
>
> Test was made using "rx_timed_samples --rxrate 25000000 --nsamps
> 1000000" and "rx_timed_samples --rxrate 62500000 --nsamps 1000000" (on
> Windows built as release target) but it often indicates dropped
> packets (SX) on both platforms. Capturing with wireshark (or ulogd
> with pcap target) and decoding the VRT packets afterwards (using some
> python scripts) shows the same result. I tried using the benchmark_rx
> example but it fails because even after sending
> "STREAM_MODE_STOP_CONTINUOUS".

see
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/public/wiki/U2binaries#UHD-Firmware-and-FPGA-Images