Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices RF RX/TX subsystems for Spartan-3A

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices RF RX/TX subsystems for Spartan-3AN FPGA
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:43:49 +0400

Hi Jeffrey,
                      Thank you for the reply.

On Jun 18, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Jeffrey Lambert wrote:

> This type of front-end typically consists of low noise amplifier (LNA),
> mixer, and perhaps a baseband/IF amplifier or automatic-gain control (AGC)
> amplifier.  Determing the requirements for amplifier gains will be based on
> mixer conversion loss and the receiver sensitivity desired.
>
> Designing the RF front-end requires knowledge of RF and microwave circuits
> and perhaps impedance matching skills and amplifier design depending upon how
> low-level you want to get into the design process. This is not a simple task.

Would it make sense to model and simulate using Matlab/Simulink, for the
amplifiers, mixers and other components using their datasheets?

Matlab/Simulink has a VHDL code generator for Xilinx, so I am wondering if I
could use it initially to model the behaviour or the RF part, and then later
on, use it to realize the baseband processor?

What other tools would I need to complete the process, so that I can model,
simulate, and develop the schematics and PCB layout for the RF front end? e.g
Is Altium Designer better, and does it have all the required RF modeling and
simulation capabilities or should I use pspice?

I would like to have an integrated workflow, from simulation to prototyping,
with as few tools as possible, and then continue to refine the model and
prototypes incrementally.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson