[Discuss-gnuradio] Phase Lag in USRP Output Signal

From: Balijepalli, Arvind
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Phase Lag in USRP Output Signal
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:06:02 -0400

Hi all,
I plan to use the USRP to run a feedback controller. The basic idea is to read
in a feedback signal over three input channels (two LFRX daughter boards),
process them to generate control signals that are output over three DACs (using
two LFTX daughter boards). All of the processing will take place in the FPGA
and I don't plan to use the decimation and demodulation/modulation stages that
are part of the default GNURadio FPGA code.

However to begin with, I would like to measure the latency of the USRP. To do
this, I read a single input channel using the LFRX daughter board and output
the same value over the LFTX daughter board.

The FPGA code itself is very straightforward in this first pass. I started
using one of the top level FPGA code images and cut out the parts I wouldn't
use. My code simply scales the input to 14 bits by bit shifting by 2 and writes
it to the output. Here's the relevant code fragment:

                always @(posedge clk64)
                        adc0 <= #1 {rx_a_a, 2'b0};

                assign tx_a = adc0;

I have setup the ADC and DAC using the python call _write_9862(which_codec,
regno, value) with the following values:
RX Side:
Rx mode:                Single channel ADC signal
Data Type:              unsigned ints (2s complement turned off)
PGA Gain:               minimum

TX Side:
Tx mode:                Single channel DAC data
Data Type:              unsigned ints (2s complement turned off)
PGA Gain:               maximum

The problem I see is that the output from the FPGA has a phase lag of 180
degrees in relation to the input. As far as I can tell, the ADC/DAC and the
FPGA are setup correctly and my function generator and scopes are set to 50ohm
impedance.

Has anyone seen this before?

Arvind