[Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-SFN (GPS independent, Fully SDR Single Frequency

From: Vincenzo Pellegrini
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-SFN (GPS independent, Fully SDR Single Frequency Network) Works :-)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:19:56 +0200

Hi fellow GNURadioers,
I'd really like to share with you a demonstration video about something I consider rather cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ6YorV4VKE

An ETSI DVB-T Single Frequency Network (SFN) tested within the lab but ready for geographical deployment,
implemented by using none of those ultra high-end, GPS-synced SFN hardware modulators but only two ordinary computers and 2 USRP2s. The lab setup reproduces an SFN collision area between two neighboring transmitters (i.e. the worst case a receiver can fall into when operating within an sfn environment). Time and frequency synchronization are delivered to SFN transmitters without relying upon GPS/GALILEO infrastructure but through ordinary (not dedicated) packet switched networks carrying loads of concurrent traffic.

I'm not sure this was done before, please let me know in case there is some info I'm missing.

thank you and reagards

vincenzo

--
Vincenzo Pellegrini