Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to set up MP-Benchmark Test PowerPC Processor

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to set up MP-Benchmark Test PowerPC Processors (using Altivec)
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 23:12:24 -0400

On 05/06/2010 11:01 PM, Eric Blossom wrote:

> The cgran version shows the speedup pretty well, but you need to be
> using big FFTs to see the win, where big >= 4096 points.

I laugh heartily at your puny FFTs of only 4096 points :-)

I regularly do FFTs with 1Hz resolution over bandwidths of several MHz
with Gnu Radio.
  They run in "real time" on a reasonably-snappy "normal" CPU.  But I
guess I could be
  doing them on a GPU at some point :-)

Something that requires big crunchies in my application space is
coherent de-dispersion, which requires
  the construction of a (usually largish) complex FFT filter.  Seems
that might benefit from
  GPU speedup.  Right now, I have to decide whether I want an RFI filter
(an FFT notch filter
  basically, and it doesn't have to be all that long), or a
de-dispersion filter (generally much
  longer).  But oh boy, can I have both, please? :-)

Actually, I'm probably going to start playing with a Phenom II X6 1090T
some time this summer, and
  I may get back enough crunchies to do both coherent de-dispersion and
RFI notch filtering in
  real time.  Yay!

--
Marcus Leech