Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RANT ALERT: WTF Is wrong with you people?

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RANT ALERT: WTF Is wrong with you people?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:35:52 -0400

In my time here, I've learned that SDRs bring together two worlds... those in EE, and those in CS.  Those from the CS world don't understand a lot of the RF world, but would like to leverage SDRs to achieve something at the higher level and are thrown in to the RF world.  Those in the EE world, understand the low-level details and the RF side of things, but have a hard time grasping how it all comes together in the software architecture.  Of course, there are people who have mastered both worlds, and those are the ones helping others on the list.

I come from a CS background, and I started working on GNU Radio to have a highly versatile radio to implement the MAC layer, which standard NICs prevent you from doing. So, it was GNU Radio + USRP, or no project. In the process, I was thrown into the RF world.  Wait, what is decimation?  Sampling rate?  What the heck does the PLL do?  GMSK?  I just want bits.  It sounds naive, but I'm sure the default CS track at a lot of schools does will not expose most to any of this.  I got done what I needed to do, but the path it took to get there was no where near what I thought it might be.  I learned a ton along the way, and now I like to think I happily sit with an understanding of RF and its practical application to achieve the higher layers.

I completely understand your concern, and I've seen it on the list over several years now.  I think it stems from the differences I've mentioned, getting deep in to: GNU Radio + USRP can do so much, and what everyone wants to use it for is so different, and on top of that their backgrounds are unique. Different background, different programming practices, those from the Linux land (emacs+gdb), and those from the IDE land (Eclipse/VS). Those from the prior land have a relatively easier time, and those form the latter have an even steeper learning curve. Aside from that, I don't think a single person on this list (including Eric) would disagree that GNU Radio and the USRP have a steep learning curve.  It takes time, patience, and a willingness to tackle problems on your own.  Unfortunately, I think those of us who sit on a mailing list don't interact with those who have the time and patience and have gotten past their problems, and instead naturally see posts from those looking for fast, quick, help with little devotion.  Of course, there is plenty of legitimate discussion on the mailing list from experienced people, but you get a lot of first-comers bypassing the vast sea of documentation trying to cover a complex system.