[Discuss-gnuradio] Simple signal echo with the USRP

From: Balijepalli, Arvind
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple signal echo with the USRP
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:04:25 -0400

I am starting to look into building a feedback controller, which takes the
position of the particle and outputs a suitable control signal. The controller
itself will most likely be a tabulated function, which we can implement using a
lookup table. However, I am having trouble getting a basic signal echo going. I
have installed GNU radio as well as the Quartus compiler and worked through
compiling and running the top level std_usrp project.

As a next step, I am trying to modify the USRP FPGA Verilog code to build a
simple signal echo. The Verilog code is extremely simple in this case. I
started by modifying to top level usrp_std.v and simply mapped the input rx_a_a
and rx_b_a onto tx_a and tx_b, cutting out all the other extraneous code
pertaining to the USB. The essence of the Verilog code is: Create two registers
to drive the output wires and echo the output at the positive edge of the
clock. This code compiles without errors in Quartus (although this doesn't
necessarily imply that it should work).

        reg lTXA;
        reg lTXB;

        assign      tx_a  = lTXA;
        assign      tx_b  = lTXB;

        always @(posedge clk64)
        begin
                 lTXA = rx_a_a;
                 lTXB = rx_b_a;
        end

However, I am not sure how to setup the python code to get this to successfully
run. The code snippet below doesn't seem to do the trick.

        src = usrp.source_c(which=0, decim_rate=64, nchan=2, mode=0,
fpga_filename="echo.rbf")
        dst = usrp.sink_c(which=0, nchan=2)

        self.connect (src, dst)

Can someone point me in the right direction with this? Also, I haven't found a
simple "hello, world!" example to modify the FPGA code. Does such an example
exist? If it doesn't, I will be happy to get this to a point where it is usable
and submit it back to the community. I think it may be useful for others like
myself who are new to Verilog/FPGAs and may provide an easier entry point to
start modifying the FPGA code.

Thanks,
Arvind
--