[Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN: new projects added & updates

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN: new projects added & updates
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:09:01 -0400

Hi all,

For those of you unfamiliar with CGRAN, it is a host for 3rd party GNU Radio applications: https://www.cgran.org

Just to settle some quick confusion, you do NOT need an account on CGRAN to checkout a project.  You only need an account if you wish to make wiki or code changes.  So, you are free to checkout any project anonymously :)  Though, I appreciate if you register anyways, it gives me an idea of who uses CGRAN!

We are ALMOST to 100 registered users, currently at 94!  Its success is great, I've read a few published wireless papers this year that used code from CGRAN for their project, and in some cases even cited CGRAN ;)

Thanks to all who have contributed to and used CGRAN!

New Projects

Smartnet Trunking Receiver (Nick Foster) - This module implements a receiver for Motorola Smartnet trunked radio systems.  It replicates most of the functionality of a simple trunked scanner, and you can also use this module to receive the entire trunked network in real time and log it to disk. Typical scanners are limited to receiving one channel at a time.

IT++ Wrappers (Martin Braun) - This module attempts to wrap  IT++ function into GNU Radio blocks. IT++ is a C++-based library for running communication based simulations, and includes channel coding functions, mobile propagation channel models and some mathematical tool needed in communications engineering and DSP development.

Split-Functionality MAC Protocols (George Nychis) - We take a "split-functionality" approach to implementing core MAC functions between the host processor and radio hardware to allow high-performance MAC implementations on high-latency SDRs.  We provide basic building blocks to build MAC protocols on GNU Radio and the USRP, and provide implementations of a CSMA and TDMA MAC protocol from which you can build.

IEEE802.11a/g/p OFDM Frame Encoder (Telecomm. Research Center Vienna (FTW)) - This encoder is able to generate and transmit standard-compliant IEEE802.11a, IEEE802.11g or IEEE802.11p (draft) frames using the GNURadio framework. The package consists of python scripts and C++ sourcecode for all required processing steps. Also included is a reference encoder script (to be used within MATLAB, in the src/matlab directory) that was written in the first phase of development of the GNURadio-based encoder.

RFID Reader, Gen 2 (Michael Buettner) - This project implements a Gen 2 RFID reader capable of inter-operating with commercial tags. To meet the timing requirements of the Gen 2 standard, a number of optimizations were necessary, including modifications to GNU Radio's USB subsystem. For our application, we were able to achieve < 300 us system latencies.