Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Auxiliary ADC

From: Christoph Thein
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Auxiliary ADC
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:00:33 +0200

> Eric Blossom wrote:

> >> The USRP1 uses the read_aux_adc function to get the values. Does the
> >> read_gpio replace it for the USRP2? If not how is the USRP2 accessing
> >> the aux ADC?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Christoph
> >
> > At this point, firmware in the USRP2 controls the daughterboards, and
> > the read_aux_adc functionality is not exported to the host.
> >
> > Eric

> Does the firmware currently do anything with the Aux ADC? I see the
> definitions for reading from the SPI controller, and the function
> (firmware/lib/lsadc.c: lsadc_read_rx(int)) which appears to be the only
> place that reads from the correct SPI device. Also, it looks like it
> would be difficult to read the value directly from inside the FPGA: i.e.
> if I wanted to use the RSSI value for an AGC or squelch control, I'd
> probably be best served by periodically reading the value from within
> the firmware, and pushing it back into a register in, e.g., dsp_rx_regs.
> This would likely mean I'd have some additional inherent delay in using
> the value in the DSP chain. Is there a better way - e.g. I assume it
> would be possible to load the data from the SPI controller in the FPGA,
> but does that come with a (much?) larger cost in terms of logic, and
> therefore area/etc.?
>  Thanks,
>   Doug

Hi,

I am interested in logging the RSSI on the host's side. Therefore I am looking
for a way to push the values from the firmware to the host. Does anybody have
some insides how to access these registers  (written with dsp_rx_regs from
within the firmware like mentioned by Doug) from the host. I already looked at
the read_gpio functions but got stucked, not knowing exactly if they can
provide the wanted functionality.

BR Christoph