Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP synchronization

From: ValentinG
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP synchronization
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:28:30 -0800 (PST)

> It depends where you are measuring.  The main 100 MHz clock should
>always come up with the same phase.

Ok we've found the problem, we were measuring a 10MHz signal on the test
pins which is derived from 100MHz, therefore has a 10-way ambiguity, hence
different phases after power cycling... Checked the actual clock and it's
fine.

>Basically, divisions produce ambiguity, multiplications remove it.  To
>take an example -- assume you are using a 10 MHz reference and your
>final LO frequency is 2450 MHz.  The 10 MHz reference is multiplied up
>to 100 MHz, and will have no phase ambiguity.  The 100 MHz is sent to
>each daughterboard where it is divided by 16 to create the 6.25 MHz
>compare frequency.  This will have a 16-way ambiguity.  This is then
>multiplied up by 392 to get 2450.  16 is not a factor of 392, but 8 is.
>  So 16/8 = 2 and you get a 2-way ambiguity.

>If, on the other hand, you choose 2456.25 MHz for your LO frequency, the
>multiplication factor is 393, which shares no common factors with 16,
>and so you have 16-way ambiguity.  By judiciously choosing your R
>divider and LO frequency, you can often get rid of the ambiguity.

In the example above you use the factor of 16 at the very start, where does
it come from? Is it the decimation rate we use or it can be arbitrary?

>I actually just thought of another possible way to do this which might
>be even better, so let me think about that and I'll get back to you.

Great!:)

We have modified our c++ code to send all the configuration commands to the
USRP2 boards (frequency, decimation, etc.) at the very start and pause. Then
we perform 4 fetches of data, pausing after each one. 3 of those are then
used to get calibration data, which is then used to refine the results of
the 4th fetch. Is this a correct approach?

We have also tried sending all the configuration commands using a separate
c++ script and then using a different script to perform the fetches, but
that doesn't seem to work. Is that because every time the usrp2:make command
is called it resets the configuration of the board?

Regards,
Valentin