Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Interesting observation regarding varying time du

From: Bishal Thapa
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Interesting observation regarding varying time duration it takes to execute fg.start() [a flowgraph start ala thread spawning??]
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:07:58 -0500

Thank you for your reply Eric.
  I did print delta and delta.microseconds and guess what I did get this:

Receiver (0) =  BABA0002
Requested RX Bitrate: 100k
Probe Level 39
0:00:00.000327  [This is from printing delta]
327  [This is from printing delta.microseconds]

Why do you think I should not get 309us? I am sorry if I don't get something fundamental here. Thanks again for helping me out :)

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 02:05:12PM -0500, Bishal Thapa wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have an interesting observation to share, and I want to see if anybody
> can help me shed some light. When I measure time in python in the following
> way:
>
> t1 = datetime.now()
> self.start()
> t2=datetime.now()
> diff = t2.microsecond - t1.microsecond
> print "Difference %d", diff
>
> I get very different time benchmarks..it goes from 309 microseconds
> (minimum) to all the way 1 second(max). Do you know why this thread spawning
> is taking such a variety of time after flowgraph start()??

I seriously doubt it ever take 309us :-)

If you subtract two datetimes you get a timedelta.
See the docs.

 t1 = datetime.now()
 self.start()
 t2=datetime.now()