Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] u2_flash_tool : Can not find the command

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] u2_flash_tool : Can not find the command
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:17:20 -0800

> > 3. Using sudo ./u2_flash_tool --dev=/dev/mmcblk0p1 -t s/w txrx.bin ¨Cw
>
> I'm a litttle concerned that you have an MMC card and not an SD card,
> based on the device name that gets created when you insert the card
> into your read/writer.  Using SD cards, I've only ever seen Ubuntu
> generate devices of type '/dev/sdX'.

No need to worry about this.  The "mmc" driver handles both MMC and SD
cards (their protocols are almost identical).  The "sd" driver
actually stands for "SCSI disk"; but in recent kernels, SATA and USB
storage media also show up as "sd" devices.

So if you access your SD card via a USB adapter, it becomes an "sd"
device.  If you access your SD card via a builtin non-USB SD
interface, it becomes an "mmcblk" device.

Ah!  The issue is probably that he's accessing "mmcblk0p1", that is,
the first partition.  I thought the USRP2 used unpartitioned cards,
i.e. he should write to "mmcblk0" (which will overwrite the partition
label and eliminate those p1 devices on subsequent accesses anyway).

        John