RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] mac leopard install problem

From: Clark Pope
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] mac leopard install problem
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:10:51 -0500

> CC: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mac leopard install problem
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:49:55 -0500
>
> Hi Clark - Various levels of response. Bottom line is: You're way
> outside the scope of usual OSX / GNU Radio / MacPorts installs, so I
> don't know what assistance "we" can provide if the issue is non-
> standard (as this one seems to be). Good luck! - MLD
>
> 0) According to the EULA for Mac OS X 10.5, it's not legal to run it
> as a VM -- this fact is well publicized on the internet. I don't know
> about 10.6 -- rumor was that that clause would be diluted or removed,
> but I haven't checked the EULA or any sites that might have such
> info. That said, I, personally, don't care if anyone decides to do so
> so long as the install is otherwise legal. That said, if I were in
> your shoes, I wouldn't go around advertising what I'm doing in public
> forums; my US$0.02 worth, although you didn't ask.

Didn't realize they cared as long as you purchase the OS. Guess I'll try dual
boot instead, but I doubt that's this particular problem. Everything else seems
to run okay.

> 1) The MacPorts install of GNU Radio has been messed up for a long
> time, and may or not work depending on many factors. I've submitted
> fixes and updates multiple times, but they have yet to be integrated;
> I've applied to be a MacPorts developer & maintainer of the GNU Radio
> ports, but I have yet to hear even a peep back from them.
>
> 2) I highly do -not- recommend installing GNU Radio from MacPorts at
> this time -- no matter if using a VM or otherwise; I do recommend
> using the either 3.2.2 tarball or latest GIT master instead --
> depending on the version of OSX you're using and your preferences
> (e.g., 64-bit compiling required the GIT master). That said, the
> dependencies for GNU Radio are fair game for installing using MacPorts
> and should currently work at least on a real box.

good to know. I'll try the gnuradio tarball when I get that far. I suspect the
dependencies will need gcc43 though so without a binary for that I'm probably
sol.

> 3) The actual error is "./libtool: No such file or directory" ... so
> it looks like GCC didn't configure a subdirectory correctly -- maybe
> didn't link correctly to libtool when configuring? I do have "gcc43
> @4.3.4_0 (active)" installed on my (real) MacBook Pro, so it can be
> done. Given that you're working on a VM, I'd have to believe the
> issue is on that front and not MacPorts or GCC specifically -- but I
> really don't know since I've never tried what you're doing. I've
> never seen this issue (VM or otherwise), and if searching the internet
> doesn't help either then you'll need to hack into the MacPorts build
> directory to see what's going on (I use "pushd `port dir gcc43`/work"
> and then 'ls' to figure out where to 'cd' from there) & if you can
> correct it manually.

yeah it seems to expect a shell script called libtool there. I'll keep digging.
Thanks
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/