Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about adding new files and making autoto

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about adding new files and making autotools happy
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:19:43 -0800

The tarball is generated when you run "make dist" from a bootstrapped build tree. This tarball contains the files generated from doing the bootstrap (all the makefile.ins, configure, so on...)

You could think of it this way: a bootstrapped build does not have a way of comprehending its pre-bootstrapped state. So you get a tarball of a bootstrapped build tree... Its the autotools way.

-Josh

CAS wrote:
Thanks for the question and response as this also helps me with the problems I was having. Can you explain this also in the context of the instructions that say not to run ./bootstrap if building from the tarball? Indeed, I find that if I run ./bootstrap after unpacking the tarball it has a tough time finding all the pieces, but works fine if I just unpack and ./configure && make && make install. Thanks again for the assistance.

CAS