Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on iphone?

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on iphone?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:23:42 -0500

On 12/11/2009 11:50 AM, Jeff Brower wrote:
Cosmin-

Hey,Could it be possible to install gnuradio on smarphones
or iphone (v1 to v3) -maybe a minimal version- in order to
get working the usrp (or a minimal harware) with it?Maybe a
custom usrp hardware?Changing the dock for example.

Interesting question.  The Palm Pre and Mot Droid have OMAP 3430... I know
Beagle board can run GNU radio (OMAP 3530)
but I haven't heard of a 34xx port.  My guess would be that Droid is the best
candidate for experimenting.  It runs
Android and and it might be reasonable to expect peer support for porting
complex applications.  Palm Pre seems very
closed and Palm doesn't seem interested at all in developers doing low-level
ARM or DSP core development (we know, we
tried talking to them about it).

I bet Philip has some comments.

The iphone uses an ARMv6 instruction set, it does not appear to have any floating point hardware. You can run gnuradio on these, but you will have to re-write a lot of the blocks to do fixed point math.

The omapzoom was mentioned, a good way to empty your wallet :) You can do all your prototyping on the beagle board and see if your application will work.

The Beagle is OMAP3 based, there is a floating point coprocessor capable of SIMD operations. This is a much better platform for GNU Radio.

Philip