Re: Fw: [Discuss-gnuradio] AO-51 and GRC

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: Fw: [Discuss-gnuradio] AO-51 and GRC
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 21:33:47 +0100

Hi Patrik,

Thanks again for the info. I like your home made yagi antenna for UHF.
I will try to build one in the holidays.

Implementing Doppler correction in GNU Radio receiver can be
relatively easy. I can think of three ideas with increasing complexity
and performance:

1. Make the filter in front of the FM detector wide enough to cover
the satellite downlink +/- Doppler shift. I think for voice FM it will
be okay if you are a few kHz off as long as you get the whole signal
through the filter.
2. Active Doppler correction using satellite tracking code. There is a
python library called pyephem that you can use to calculate satellite
position, range and range rate, hence Doppler shift:
http://rhodesmill.org/pyephem/
3. Track the center frequency of the carrier using the FFT spectrum.
For voice FM this is easy because of constant amplitude. Even when the
signal is fading, the peak in the frequency domain will correspond to
the center frequency as long as you have decent SNR. You can try to
visualize it using a waterfall sink.

Cheers
Alex