Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals :)

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals :)
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 10:17:59 -0800

Blue Boy wrote:
Hello Everyone,
           My first post:
    I am a windows kernel programmer by profession.Recently my interest
has grown for SDR gnuradio.I an new to this field so I have newbie
doubts.I would welcome if you just point to some links for my answers.
 1] What is usrp cfile format? complex/float but whats stored in numbers
 like amplitude/intensity/phase difference etc.

Its a binary file containing 64-bit complex numbers where each 64 bit complex number is 2 32-bit floating point numbers corresponding to to the real and imaginary parts of a complex number.

 2] Is frequency also stored in the cfile ? or we have to assume
frequency from file name? How to reconstruct complete/sampled signal
from Cfile ?

You need to know the sampling rate and baseband frequency, the file is just raw data samples without any context.

 3] Any scripts to read from cfile(Until USRP2 stocks are back :) ).I
have tried several old scripts but they  don't run  in latest gnuradio ?
Though i have made my own in GRC using
file-source->throttle->graphical-fft-sink.But i doubt on it as i am newbie.

That grc flowgraph would work fine. To be accurate, you have to set the samp_rate in the flowgraph and the baseband freq on the fft.

 4] Can we write non graphical code also in GRC itself.

See the options block->generate mode.

 5] Can't we use c/c++  instead of python.Its problematic to match even
indentations/tab/spaces.totally newbie to python.

Of course, here is a c++ example code http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/gnuradio-examples/c++

Although, python development is going to be a lot easier. I set my editor to show whitespaces, never have a problem.

_josh

Thanks Everyone...