[Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem: Ubuntu 9.04-gnuradio binary 3.2

From: ingangout . civ9z
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem: Ubuntu 9.04-gnuradio binary 3.2 package (recursion depth error)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 07:16:35 -0700

Following the advice at http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall, I
installed the Jaunty version of the Ubuntu distro. on my PC and the , hoping
for a clean installation of the gnuradio code in a Linux environment (gnuradio
version 3.2.2-1, according to the synaptic code manager).  I am trying to get
some UCLA IEEE 802.15.4 code running (at
https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/ucla_zigbee_phy/trunk).  Therefore, I
also followed the installation instructions at:
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/UCLAZigBee#HowToInstall.  However, after
installation of all of these, when I try to run the dial tone python example
(now located in
/usr/local/gnuradio_r10495/gnuradio-examples/python/audio/dial_tone.py or the
multi-tone examples, I get the following error:

address@hidden:/usr/local/gnuradio_r10495/gnuradio-examples/python/audio$
python dial_tone.py
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a
Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored

If I run the oscilloscope example, I get the same error:

address@hidden:/usr/local/gnuradio_r10495/gr-utils/src/python$ ./usrp_oscope.py
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a
Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored

I get the same error when trying to run the UCLA code examples:

address@hidden:/usr/local/ucla_zigbee_phy/src/examples$ python cc2420_rxtest.py
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a
Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored
cordic_freq = 2.475G
data_rate =  2M
samples_per_symbol =  2
usrp_decim =  16
fs =  4M
Using RX d'board A: Flex 2400 Rx MIMO B
>>> gr_fir_fff: using SSE
802_15_4_pkt: waiting for packet

Interestingly, the gnuradio example programs and the UCLA program all appear to
work(!). I hear tones for the gnuradio audio examples, see an oscilloscope with
radio activity and I can detect some 802.15.4 beacons using the UCLA example.

This error seems to have been observed before and to have been attributed to an
incompatibility between the linux kernel version (my version is 2.6.28-11) and
the specific version of Python (my version is 2.6).  e.g.
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/176968,
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg17030.html. However, after a
search of the forums and a google or two, I cannot see any information about
resolving the issue.  Is this a problem that can be ignored safely?

To get rid of the error or work around the problem, it seems to me that my
possible options are:
 . Find a different version of Ubuntu and/or gnuradio that are known to work
together properly (building from a tarball maybe???). I also need versions that
will also support the UCLA code
 . change my version of python (I have tried an altinstall of python2.5, but
get a different set of errors).  This assumes that the Python version *is* in
fact the issue.
 . get (more) help from the authors of the UCLA code about the compatible
versions of UCLA and gnuradio software and/or the OS kernel and/or Python
software that they are using in their labs
 . Review installation logs for potential problems that may have occurred
during installation (are the logs for any of these installation processes
stored somewhere or are they just sent to the standard output... which I didn't
save?).

These options really require some knowledge of what is supposed to work, which
I don't have and haven't found yet. The dial_tone and multi_tone examples are
pretty simple gnuradio-only ones, right?  These examples shouldn't have a lot
of dependencies on stuff made and configured during the UCLA code tree
installation process, I'm hoping.  Any guidance from anyone about what to try
next would be very much appreciated.

/ David