Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compiling c++ blocks

From: Jordan J Riggs
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compiling c++ blocks
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:07:28 -0600

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Mattias Kjellsson <address@hidden> wrote:
Jordan J Riggs wrote:
All,

I'm attempting to write a block for GNU Radio. However, the tutorial on http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/howto-write-a-block.html is significantly different than the structure of gr-how-to-write-a-block included with the current release of gnuradio. Insofar as I can tell, the tutorial written by Eric Blossom only explains how to run a QA test on the block, not how to compile or install it. As a person who has never worked with autotools (other than to compile other people's code), I am lost in the dark. Can anyone point me to any resources?
Hi,

Do you want to use the block from python? If so, you would probably want to have a look at any of the many (google) swig- tutorials. If you on the other hand are planning on c++ only development, you only have to assemble the different "blocks" and then link the .o- files together into a main application.

In the case of c++ development I can give you some hints on how to write a Makefile, but if you are planning on python development, the black- magic of swig is to mighty for me ;)

Cheers!
//Mattias

Mattias,

I am attempting to modify the block gr_interleaved_short_to_complex such that it outputs std::complex<int16_t>, as required by usrp2_sink_16sc. Before I try and compile my own code, however, I am simply trying to compile an unmodified gr_interleaved_short_to_complex block by adapting the build scripts in gr-how-to-write-a-block. And while many of the necessary modifications are obvious (such as replacing instances of "howto_square_ff.h" with "gr_interleaved_short_to_complex.h"), plenty more are not obvious (such as how to modify src/lib/Makefile.swig.gen). I really can't express how frustrating this is- I only need to compile four small source files.
The problem is that there is just alot going on in the build and I really don't understand most if it. Compounding the problem is that the aforementioned tutorial does not go in to this at all.

Thanks,
Jordan