[Discuss-gnuradio] question regarding data type convert between gnuradio

From: Milo Wong
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] question regarding data type convert between gnuradio blocks
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:39:39 -0700

Hi all,
Hope you guys had a great weekend. I have a question about the data type between gnuradio blocks.
1)I used "stream to streams" block in GRC to de-multiplex the output of audio source which type is float and drops in the range of (-1,+1), I was wondering what is the type of data after "stream to streams"(de-multiplex)? In my flow graph, all of the I/O type of blocks in GRC are float, however, if I put the data streams into file sinks which input type is also float, the data I gathered are hex. Why? I used "Bless" hex editor software to open the file. Is that means the "bless" helped me with the type converting?
2) I do need the the bits(or byte) data after demultiplexing for later digital signal processing, but there's no ADC in GRC which could help me with converting the float data between (-1,+1) to bits (byte). How could I achieve this conversion?
3) BTW, what is the difference between "stream to streams" and "de-interleave" blocks. It seems that they have the same outputs.
Thank you very much!
Milo