[Discuss-gnuradio] Tracking a Carrier Frequency

From: Thomas
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tracking a Carrier Frequency
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:06:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I have an application in which I need the USRP to track a carrier frequency being received. What I mean by "tracking the carrier" is I need the USRP to stay tuned to the carrier frequency even if the carrier frequency drifts (or if the USRP's frequency reference drifts).

I was thinking that I could peridically (perhaps once per second) take the FFT, find the frequency of the greatest magnitude, and re-tune the USRP to this frequency.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work, and is there a better way? It seems to me this would be a common problem, and there would already be a good solution, but I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks,

Thomas