[Discuss-gnuradio] newbie's question. performance-critical or non-perfor

From: Milo Wong
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] newbie's question. performance-critical or non-performance-critical??
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:07:41 -0700

Hi all,

I am new to GNU radio. I know that GNU Radio applications are primarily written in Python, while performance-critical signal processing path is implemented in C++. Here I am a little bit confused. If I am going to create a sinewave generating and processing block, Which language should I use? Is my sinewave generating block performance-critical? I know it's kind of a stupid question...but I am confused by the words from gnuradio FAQ:

"""Why bother with Python? I just want to code in C++!

It is currently being worked on (#128). There are a few different things that have to happen to support such a feat (#118), but if you want to see it done quicker feel free to help out.

Python is only used to setup the flow graph. Once setup, most of the work is done in C++. """

My understand is if I am going to create a new block, I need to use C++ first to descript the signal processing. And then generate the flow graph of already defined blocks in python. Is that correct?

Please help. I was messed up by these consepts.

Thanks,

Yuan