[Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting a working install - OSX, from trunk

From: Jonathan Coveney
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting a working install - OSX, from trunk
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:47:10 -0400

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm hoping to work on some GNU radio stuff, but the install isn't working.

I used these instructions (after setting my bash, getting all the dependencies etc)
https://radioware.nd.edu/documentation/install-guides/mac-os-x/obtaining-and-installing-gnu-radio

so I ran these commands:
svn co http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/trunk gnuradio
sed -e 'address@hidden@address@hidden' bootstrap > bootstrap_mp
sh bootstrap_mp
./configure
make

Configure went fine, I believe. No errors and I got this

The following components were skipped either because you asked not
to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:

usrp2-firmware

These components will not be built.

The following GNU Radio components have been successfully configured:

config
gruel
omnithread
gnuradio-core
pmt
mblock
usrp
gr-usrp
gr-audio-jack
gr-audio-osx
gr-audio-portaudio
gr-cvsd-vocoder
gr-gpio
gr-gsm-fr-vocoder
gr-pager
gr-radar-mono
gr-radio-astronomy
gr-trellis
gr-video-sdl
gr-wxgui
gr-sounder
gr-utils
gnuradio-examples
grc
docs

You my now run the make command to build these components.

The following components were skipped either because you asked not
to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:

gcell
usrp2
gr-usrp2
gr-gcell
gr-audio-alsa
gr-audio-oss
gr-audio-windows
gr-qtgui

In the make, however, I got a bunch of errors in the form of:

make[X]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
or
make[X]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.

X was usually 2, 5, 6...

I have no idea what this signifies, but it does make my install not work. I've pasted some examples of this, and here is the entire text resulting from my make command, in case there is instructive information there.
http://www.jcoveney.com/jco%20make%20results.rtf (tried to attach but it didn't work)
I searched on google, but it seems like the "make" type error can be fairly generic... but given that my configure worked, I'm not sure what I should pursue? Perhaps it worked but I missed something more I should do. It's here (I tried to attach but it didn't work)
http://www.jcoveney.com/jco%20configure%20results.rtf

If I do sudo make install I get lots of similar errors, and if I try to run something like the dialtone I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./dial_tone.py", line 23, in <module>
    from gnuradio import gr
ImportError: No module named gnuradio

Obviously, the installation has failed.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to contributing instead of taking away...
-Jonathan

make  all-recursive
Making all in config
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in gruel
Making all in src
Making all in include
Making all in gruel
make  all-am
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in lib

---

libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "libgruel.la" && ln -s "../libgruel.la" "libgruel.la" )
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in omnithread
Making all in gnuradio
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

----

libtool: link: g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -D_THREAD_SAFE -o .libs/test_vmcircbuf test_vmcircbuf.o -Wl,-bind_at_load  ../../../gnuradio-core/src/lib/.libs/libgnuradio-core-qa.dylib -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib /opt/local/lib/libcppunit.dylib -ldl /Users/jco/Downloads/gnuradio/gnuradio-core/src/lib/.libs/libgnuradio-core.dylib /Users/jco/Downloads/gnuradio/omnithread/.libs/libgromnithread.dylib /Users/jco/Downloads/gnuradio/gruel/src/lib/.libs/libgruel.dylib -lboost_thread-mt-s /opt/local/lib/libgsl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgslcblas.dylib -lm -lcblas
Making all in python
Making all in gnuradio
Making all in gr
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in gru
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in gruimpl
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in blks2
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in blks2impl
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in vocoder
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in bin
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in pmt
Making all in src
Making all in lib

----

libtool: link: g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -D_THREAD_SAFE -o .libs/test_pmt test_pmt.o -Wl,-bind_at_load  ./.libs/libpmt-qa.dylib -L/opt/local/lib /Users/jco/Downloads/gnuradio/pmt/src/lib/.libs/libpmt.dylib /opt/local/lib/libcppunit.dylib -lm -ldl ./.libs/libpmt.dylib /Users/jco/Downloads/gnuradio/omnithread/.libs/libgromnithread.dylib -lstdc++
Making all in scheme
Making all in gnuradio
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in mblock
Making all in src
Making all in include
Making all in mblock