[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Sockets

From: devin kelly
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Sockets
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:20:20 -0400

I've been looking over the GNU Radio code and I can't seem to figure what is being done in /usrp2/host/lib/open_usrp2_socket.cc file.  Specifically, lines 97 through to 128.

What I think is happening is that a pair of connected sockets is created (97) then a process is forked (102).  So, the child process has it's own pair of sockets?  Are sockfd[0] in each process connected?  That would explain why sockfd[1] is closed (114) immediately after the fork, but it would not explain the need for socketpair to begin with.

So, my questions are: why is socketpair needed?  What is the fork doing?  And, why is the socket closed right after the fork?

Any help is appreciated.
Devin